|"So good they named the road after it"|
The Florence Story
The Flo was born in the early 1800s when a family by the name of 'Frowd' sold beer to the local community from their front room at no. 22 'The Corner House', Florence Road. Around 1878 the house was bought by the Landport based brewery J.J. Young, who were in turn purchased by the larger Portsmouth brewery George Peters & Co around 1902. In 1959 George Peters & Co were sold to the national brewery Friary Meux who in turn passed to Ind Coope, Allied Domecq and currently Punch Taverns. The last landlord of the original public house was a Mr Thomas Goodman in about 1910.
In 1924 the building was demolished as part of a slum clearance and the brewery rebuilt the pub, extending it over the ite of No 20, to include a snug, public bar, jug and bottle, and billiard room. In 1960 the pub was extended over the site of No 18, to create what is now the lounge. In the mid-sixties, The Flo was the last pub in Portsmouth to be granted a spirits license and is still nostalgically remembered as 'the cider house of Southsea'. Myths and legends abound from the Cider Years, but now this 150 year old establishment is a far cry from its humble beginnings; but thanks to Greg and Jane it still encapsulates the essence of the original 'corner pub', catering for the needs of the local community.